Thursday, April 17, 2008

Speak to Me

The four or five regular readers here will probably know that my favourite band, by far, is Pink Floyd. Last night I saw the Jeans and Classics band perform with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony. They played an evening of Pink Floyd music, along with a few songs by Floyd contemporaries, including David Bowie, Jethro Tull and Supertramp, among others. Walking into the theatre, I half-expected to see a haze of smoke coming from the bushes, but oddly enough there was none.

The first half of the show had a couple of Floyd tunes, but the highlight for me was the hypnotic Crime of the Century. The second half of the show was the entire Dark Side of the Moon album. It was flawless. The symphony accompaniment was perfect, especially in Us and Them. During the Dark Side part of the show, a video screen was playing images cooked up by a couple of local guys. That was really well done - the imagery was perfectly in tune and in time with the music.

The place was packed, and there's a second show tonight. If this comes around again, check it out. If you're a Floyd fan, you won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, the encore was also excellent. In live Floyd shows, there's a dual guitar solo part at the end of Comfortably Numb that absolutely rocks. The band last night did the same thing, but with one guitar and one saxophone. Same chilling effect.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I cannot believe I missed that! I like Pink Floyd, and I love Supertramp! Getting to see "Dark side..." live would have been a great treat. And Crime of the Century! Wow.

    Sigh. That's the second KW Symphony concert that I miss for being on the road. Last May we had even bought tickets for me and my boys for the Electric Thursdays Kiss concert, and I had to sell them to a friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the first Electric Thursdays show I've seen, and it won't be the last.

    I'm mad that I missed the Eagles show...

    ReplyDelete