Thursday, April 03, 2008

Vista SP1

I was wondering why Vista SP1 hadn't shown up yet in the Windows Update service, for our laptop. We have a Dell Inspiron 1521, and I had been expecting SP1 to be there by now. So I headed off to The Google last night to figure it out. Turns out our audio driver wasn't supported on SP1.

I found an updated driver on Dell's site, removed the old one, and rebooted. When it came back up, Vista installed a generic Microsoft audio driver. I installed the Dell (Sigmatel) driver, and rebooted. Then I went back to Windows Update. Tada! SP1 showed up.

Downloaded, installed, rebooted a few times. Everything worked great. Took about an hour total. No problems yet, although I haven't noticed anything different.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:52 pm

    Hey Marc:

    I have a Dell 1520. I put on SP1 last week and my wireless connectiong started dropping and re-connecting. That was the only thing I noticed. I have since removed SP1 and have done a Dell Factory Restore from the hidden partion. Once I have my drivers all up to date; I may give SP1 another go.

    Ross in Waterloo

    ReplyDelete