Friday, January 23, 2009

Vista upgrade

Well, the calendar on the wall says 2009, and since the decade is nearly over, I figured it's time I stepped into the light and upgraded from XP to Vista.

Shouldn't be hard, I figured. Vista has been out for a long time. I have it on the home laptop, and I like it. It's fast, easy to use, gets the job done. Plus, we're supposed to support the product on Vista, even though none of the developers have it. Might as well dive in head first.

So I head over to the MSDN download site, and start downloading. Picked a bad time to do it - right in the middle of the inauguration ceremony...

Next day, when the download is done, I grab a product key and start installing. After about 20 minutes, the installer tells me "Upgrade has been disabled. Your Windows configuration cannot be upgraded." and I'm left with the choice to install a fresh operating system. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I start digging around for the install log file, and when I find it, it tells me the reason I can't upgrade. My Documents and Settings (actually called "Profile" on this machine) is not on the C: drive. The IT wizards here have put it on the D: drive, which prevents upgrading to Vista.

How hard could it be to move the profile back to the C: drive? Actually, not that hard, but it requires you to get intimate with the registry.

Once I had that done, I was able to use the Vista upgrade option. And today all is well.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:24 am

    Have you considered a career in IT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've considered a career in a lot of things, but never IT.

    ReplyDelete